Stand With Ukraine

Monday, November 1, 2021

Autocomplete ssh destinations in Manjaro/bash and other things I had to adjust to migrate from Kubuntu to Manjaro

Recently I decided to switch my Linux distribution from Kubuntu/KDE to Manjaro/KDE. Before installing Manjaro I resized my disk into 2 partitions: one for the system (ext4) and one for home (btrfs). This way I could reinstall the OS without touching my home folder. And then I replaced Kubuntu with Manjaro in the system partition. It went mostly smoothly, except few things:
  • When I was typing ssh+TAB in Kubuntu I had my servers from .ssh/config autocompleted for me, but not in Manjaro. To activate that feature I had to install bash-completion package from offcial repositories (extra).
  • I had to remove my ~/.kde directory to have the kde from Manjaro work. Using tty by pressing ctrl+alt+F2 from the login window.
  • For some servers I had to add the following option in .ssh/config: HostKeyAlgorithms=+ssh-rsa, this was not necessary in Kubuntu. Otherwize, I was getting the following error message
    Unable to negotiate with $ip port $port: no matching host key type found. Their offer: ssh-dss,ssh-rsa

Notes
  • I used GParted from within a live usb to repartition my disk (followed steps from here). Had to move around some stuff and fix ownership of files, but it worked out great. I am happy I did it as it allowed me to painlessly switch from Kubuntu to Manjaro.

No comments: